According to registration statistics recently released by the American Kennel Club® (AKC), the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in the Kansas City area.
The Labrador Retriever is also the most popular purebred dog in America for the 21st straight year. More than twice as many Labs were registered than any other breed making it a likely leader for many years to come.
In a recent article, a licensed professional counselor for more than twenty-five years, explained how owning a Lab can help produce healthier, happier, more well adjusted children. Here is an excerpt from her article:
The ten reasons that I am giving for children to have a dog are not listed in order of importance. All of us have different characteristics which we find more important than others. Every reason I list, however, is important to the childhood of your son or daughter.
Dogs decrease loneliness in children.
When the older child (children) go off to school, often younger siblings experience loneliness and are sad from missing the older child. A family dog can serve as a companion and friend. A playful dog provides security that one is not alone, especially when Mommy is busy and cannot spend time reassuring the child. Children who come home to an empty house and have to wait for parents or other siblings to return have someone to share their time with. If they’ve had a bad day, they know that they can tell any secret to their canine friend. By having someone to talk to and play with, your child feels much more secure and less anxious about being alone.
Be sure to read the rest of her seven part article, Ten Reasons to Own a Dog.
At Twin Lakes Kennel, we have been breeding and training world class Labrador retrievers for more than thirty-five years. Our Labs can be found across the states from Hawaii to Maine, from Alaska to Florida. Our second-to-none Puppy Guarantee makes buying a pure-bred Labrador retriever one of the wisest decisions you will ever make.
But don’t take our word for it. Read the personal testimonials from prominent Lab owners from around the country. And visit our Puppy Page or call Woody or Judi for up-to-date puppy information at 910.462.3246.
Did you know…
- In the 1840s, wagon trains made their way west from Independence, Missouri, on a journey of 2,000 miles, following what would come to be known as the Oregon Trail. About 60 miles (97 km) west of Kansas City, Missouri, three half Kansas Indian sisters married to the French-Canadian Pappan brothers established a ferry service allowing travelers to cross the Kansas River at what is now Topeka.
- In 1854, after completion of the first cabin, nine men established the Topeka Town Association. Soon, steamboats were regularly docking at the Topeka landing. By the late 1860s, Topeka had become a commercial hub providing many Victorian era comforts.
- The distance from Topeka to Washington DC is 1059 miles. The distance to the Kansas state capital is miles. (as the crow flies).
- Nickname(s): Capitol City, T-Town, Top City.
- Motto: To the Stars Through Difficulty