According to registration statistics recently released by the American Kennel Club® (AKC), the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in the Columbus and Cincinnati areas.
The Labrador Retriever is also the most popular purebred dog in America for the 21st straight year. More than twice as many Labs were registered than any other breed making it a likely leader for many years to come.
In a recent article, a licensed professional counselor for more than twenty-five years, explained how owning a Lab can help produce healthier, happier, more well adjusted children. Here is an excerpt from her article:
The ten reasons that I am giving for children to have a dog are not listed in order of importance. All of us have different characteristics which we find more important than others. Every reason I list, however, is important to the childhood of your son or daughter.
Regular dog-walking increases social interaction for children–especially those who have just moved to a neighborhood and are feeling homesick for their former home.
A child who might not want to go out into the neighborhood alone, feels that he or she has a purpose in walking the dog, and therefore can face unfamiliar faces or places more easily than when alone. Doing activities with a dog such as playing frisbee in the yard, or jogging, or merely walking your pooch on a leash is a great way to “break the ice” with new neighbors or other kids on the block. It’s also a good conversation starter like: “Where’s the nearest park?” “Do you know what the Leash Laws are?” “Do you have a dog?” A study by Britain’s Warwick University found that 49% of people reported making friends much easier as a result of owning a dog. Walking the dog could be the perfect way for a shy or awkward adolescent to meet new friends in the neighborhood.
Be sure to read the rest of her seven part article, Ten Reasons to Own a Dog.
At Twin Lakes Kennel, we have been breeding and training world class Labrador retrievers for more than thirty-five years. Our Labs can be found across the states from Hawaii to Maine, from Alaska to Florida. Our second-to-none Puppy Guarantee makes buying a pure-bred Labrador retriever one of the wisest decisions you will ever make.
But don’t take our word for it. Read the personal testimonials from prominent Lab owners from around the country. And visit our Puppy Page or call Woody or Judi for up-to-date puppy information at 910.462.3246.
Did you know…
- French trading posts operated in the area as far back as 1680. The area was first settled by Americans in 1795, after the Battle of Fallen Timbers, with the founding of Fort Industry. However, many settlers fled the area during the War of 1812. Resettlement began around 1818 when a Cincinnati syndicate purchased a 974-acre tract at the mouth of Cedar Creek and named it Port Lawrence, creating the modern downtown area.
- Immediately to the north of that, another syndicate founded the town of Vistula, the historic north end. These two towns physically bordered each other with Cherry Street dividing them. This is why present day streets on the northeast side of Cherry Street run at a slightly different angle from those to the southwest of it.
- The distance from Toledo to Washington DC is 407 miles. The distance to the Ohio state capital is 119 miles. (as the crow flies).
- Nickname(s): The Glass City; Frogtown; T-Town
- Motto: “Laborare est Orare”