According to registration statistics recently released by the American Kennel Club® (AKC), the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in the Houston area.
The Labrador Retriever is also the most popular purebred dog in America for the 21st straight year. More than twice as many Labs were registered than any other breed making it a likely leader for many years to come.
In a recent article, a licensed professional counselor for more than twenty-five years, explained how owning a Lab can help produce healthier, happier, more well adjusted children. Here is an excerpt from her article:
The ten reasons that I am giving for children to have a dog are not listed in order of importance. All of us have different characteristics which we find more important than others. Every reason I list, however, is important to the childhood of your son or daughter.
Dogs can help children grow stronger.
Just by being a part of the family, dogs can help contribute to keeping your children healthier. According to Science Daily, kids who grow up with dogs have fewer allergies and are less likely to have eczema than other children. They grow up with higher levels of certain immune system supporters that keep them in better shape as they get older. School systems report that children from homes with dogs also have fewer sick days during the school year. Another benefit in this area of physical strength is that kids who play with dogs can take falling down and rough and tumble play much better.
Be sure to read the rest of her seven part article, Ten Reasons to Own a Dog.
At Twin Lakes Kennel, we have been breeding and training world class Labrador retrievers for more than thirty-five years. Our Labs can be found across the states from Hawaii to Maine, from Alaska to Florida. Our second-to-none Puppy Guarantee makes buying a pure-bred Labrador retriever one of the wisest decisions you will ever make.
But don’t take our word for it. Read the personal testimonials from prominent Lab owners from around the country. And visit our Puppy Page or call Woody or Judi for up-to-date puppy information at 910.462.3246.
Did you know…
- Founded in 1836 by brothers John and Augustus Allen who came to buy and sell real estate here. When oil was discovered in 1901 the area exploded with growth both residentially and commercially. The Houston Shipping Channel opened in 1914 which further fostered growth in the area.
- NASA moved to Houstin in 1961, bringing the space program here.
- In 1965, the Astrodome opened, the first indoor domed sports stadium in the world.
- The distance from Houston to Washington DC is 1265 miles. The distance to the Texas state capital is 149 miles. (as the crow flies).
- Nicknames: “The Real Texas,” “The Bayou City,” “The Space City.”
Source: USA Cities Online