According to registration statistics recently released by the American Kennel Club® (AKC), the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in the Columbus and Cincinnati areas.
The Labrador Retriever is also the most popular purebred dog in America for the 21st straight year. More than twice as many Labs were registered than any other breed making it a likely leader for many years to come.
In a recent article, a licensed professional counselor for more than twenty-five years, explained how owning a Lab can help produce healthier, happier, more well adjusted children. Here is an excerpt from her article:
The ten reasons that I am giving for children to have a dog are not listed in order of importance. All of us have different characteristics which we find more important than others. Every reason I list, however, is important to the childhood of your son or daughter.
Dogs help children to be more cooperative and sharing.
For children, a close relationship with a dog is a proven benefit in study after study. For instance, in research with preschool children, psychologists at Oregon State University found that teaching children to care for a puppy enhanced their social skills. “It made the children more cooperative and sharing,’’ said Dr. Sue Doescher, a psychologist involved in the study. “Having a dog improves children’s role-taking skills because they have to put themselves in the puppy’s position and try to feel how it feels. And that transfers to how other kids feel.’’ Children who were regularly given the opportunity to care for a puppy at their preschool, as well as those with pets at home were found more socially competent. They were more popular, felt better about themselves and were better able to understand other children’s feelings.
Be sure to read the rest of her seven part article, Ten Reasons to Own a Dog.
At Twin Lakes Kennel, we have been breeding and training world class Labrador retrievers for more than thirty-five years. Our Labs can be found across the states from Hawaii to Maine, from Alaska to Florida. Our second-to-none Puppy Guarantee makes buying a pure-bred Labrador retriever one of the wisest decisions you will ever make.
But don’t take our word for it. Read the personal testimonials from prominent Lab owners from around the country. And visit our Puppy Page or call Woody or Judi for up-to-date puppy information at 910.462.3246.
Did you know…
- Early Native American tribes in this area included the Miami, Delaware, Wyandot, Shawnee and Mingo nations. Lucas Sullivant, a surveyor from Virginia came here in 1797 and founded one of these new settlements on the west bank of the Scioto River. He named his new community Franklinton after Benjamin Franklin.
- With state legislative approval the city of Columbus was founded in February of 1812 opposite Franklinton in the area known as Wolf’s Ridge. It was named to honor Christopher Columbus. It was founded in 1812 at the confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy rivers, and was named the state capital in 1816.
- Once the National Road reached the city in 1831, many more immigrants came to settle here. The city became a melting pot of many nationalities, each settling in their own favorite area of the city.
- The distance from Columbus to Washington DC is 346 miles. The distance to the Ohio state capital is miles. (as the crow flies).
- Motto: “more than you dreamed”
Source: USA Cities Online