According to registration statistics recently released by the American Kennel Club® (AKC), the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in the Columbus and Cincinnati areas.
The Labrador Retriever is also the most popular purebred dog in America for the 21st straight year. More than twice as many Labs were registered than any other breed making it a likely leader for many years to come.
In a recent article, a licensed professional counselor for more than twenty-five years, explained how owning a Lab can help produce healthier, happier, more well adjusted children. Here is an excerpt from her article:
The ten reasons that I am giving for children to have a dog are not listed in order of importance. All of us have different characteristics which we find more important than others. Every reason I list, however, is important to the childhood of your son or daughter.
Dogs are a mood booster.
Very few of us, if any, have not heard that a “dog is a man’s best friend.” They can also be a woman’s or a child’s best friend, as well. Historically, dogs have been great companions. Research has shown that it only takes a mere 15-20 minutes with your pet to feel more relaxed and calm (per Web, MD). Playing with theirs dogs can raise the level of children’s of dopamine and serotonin, which are neurotransmitters in the brain that are associated with pleasure and tranquility. Also, when children reach out and pet or hug their dog, they are giving of themselves and soon feel better. Why pay for tranquilizers? Besides, who wants to put children on drugs any way?
Be sure to read the rest of her seven part article, Ten Reasons to Own a Dog.
At Twin Lakes Kennel, we have been breeding and training world class Labrador retrievers for more than thirty-five years. Our Labs can be found across the states from Hawaii to Maine, from Alaska to Florida. Our second-to-none Puppy Guarantee makes buying a pure-bred Labrador retriever one of the wisest decisions you will ever make.
But don’t take our word for it. Read the personal testimonials from prominent Lab owners from around the country. And visit our Puppy Page or call Woody or Judi for up-to-date puppy information at 910.462.3246.
Did you know…
- Cincinnati was founded in late December 1788 by Mathias Denman, Colonel Robert Patterson and Israel Ludlow. The original surveyor, John Filson (also the author of The Adventures of Colonel Daniel Boon), named it “Losantiville” from four terms, each of different language, It means “The city opposite the mouth of the (Licking) River,” “ville” is French for “city,” “anti” is Greek for “opposite,” “os” is Latin for “mouth,” and “L” was all that was included of “Licking River”.
- In 1790, Arthur St. Clair, the governor of the Northwest Territory, changed the name of the settlement to “Cincinnati” in honor of the Society of the Cincinnati, of which he was a member.
- To this day, Cincinnati, in particular, and Ohio, in general, are homes to a statistically significant number of descendants of Revolutionary War soldiers who were granted lands in the state as payment for their war service.
- Nickname(s): The Queen City, Cincy, The Tri-State
- Motto: Juncta Juvant (Lat. Strength in Unity)