According to registration statistics recently released by the American Kennel Club® (AKC), the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in the Hartford, CT area.
The Labrador Retriever is also the most popular purebred dog in America for the 21st straight year. More than twice as many Labs were registered than any other breed making it a likely leader for many years to come.
In a recent article, a licensed professional counselor for more than twenty-five years, explained how owning a Lab can help produce healthier, happier, more well adjusted children. Here is an excerpt from her article:
The ten reasons that I am giving for children to have a dog are not listed in order of importance. All of us have different characteristics which we find more important than others. Every reason I list, however, is important to the childhood of your son or daughter.
Dogs are a mood booster.
Very few of us, if any, have not heard that a “dog is a man’s best friend.” They can also be a woman’s or a child’s best friend, as well. Historically, dogs have been great companions. Research has shown that it only takes a mere 15-20 minutes with your pet to feel more relaxed and calm (per Web, MD). Playing with theirs dogs can raise the level of children’s of dopamine and serotonin, which are neurotransmitters in the brain that are associated with pleasure and tranquility. Also, when children reach out and pet or hug their dog, they are giving of themselves and soon feel better. Why pay for tranquilizers? Besides, who wants to put children on drugs any way?
Be sure to read the rest of her seven part article, Ten Reasons to Own a Dog.
At Twin Lakes Kennel, we have been breeding and training world class Labrador retrievers for more than thirty-five years. Our Labs can be found across the states from Hawaii to Maine, from Alaska to Florida. Our second-to-none Puppy Guarantee makes buying a pure-bred Labrador retriever one of the wisest decisions you will ever make.
But don’t take our word for it. Read the personal testimonials from prominent Lab owners from around the country. And visit our Puppy Page or call Woody or Judi for up-to-date puppy information at 910.462.3246.
Did you know…
- The first English settlement on the west bank of the mouth of the Pequonnock River was made somewhere between 1639 and 1665 and was called Pequonnock.
- During the American Revolution, Bridgeport was a center of privateering. In 1800, Newfield village was chartered as the borough of Bridgeport, and in 1821 the township of Bridgeport, including more of Stratfield, was incorporated. Bridgeport was chartered as a city in 1836.
- The circus-promoter and former mayor P.T. Barnum, is a famous resident of the city. Barnum built three houses in the city, and housed his circus in town during winters.
- The city is home to the first Subway Restaurant, opened in the North End section of the city in 1965.
- The city was home to the Frisbie Pie Company, and it is claimed that Bridgeport is the birthplace of the frisbee.
- The distance from Bridgeport to Washington DC is 262 miles. The distance to the Connecticut state capital is 50 miles. (as the crow flies).
- Nickname(s): The Park City, The Port, B-Port, BPT