According to registration statistics recently released by the American Kennel Club® (AKC), the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in the Hartford, CT area.
The Labrador Retriever is also the most popular purebred dog in America for the 21st straight year. More than twice as many Labs were registered than any other breed making it a likely leader for many years to come.
In a recent article, a licensed professional counselor for more than twenty-five years, explained how owning a Lab can help produce healthier, happier, more well adjusted children. Here is an excerpt from her article:
The ten reasons that I am giving for children to have a dog are not listed in order of importance. All of us have different characteristics which we find more important than others. Every reason I list, however, is important to the childhood of your son or daughter.
Dogs are great stress relievers for children.
According to a study from SUNY Buffalo (2010), married couples subjected to various types of stressful tasks who were allowed to see their dogs before or after the task, had the lowest responses to stress than those who didn’t. Imagine the effects on family life when the stress levels of parents go down. Children who have a dog feel more secure about home safety and going to sleep in the dark. One of the greatest stresses on children is night fears. To have this overcome, or lessened, is a great benefit to relieving stress. For children who are having any sort of difficulties at school, but especially thoughts and concerns over being liked or accepted, having a dog as a companion that loves you unconditionally is positive and brings with it a good feeling and alleviates symptoms of depression.
Be sure to read the rest of her seven part article, Ten Reasons to Own a Dog.
At Twin Lakes Kennel, we have been breeding and training world class Labrador retrievers for more than thirty-five years. Our Labs can be found across the states from Hawaii to Maine, from Alaska to Florida. Our second-to-none Puppy Guarantee makes buying a pure-bred Labrador retriever one of the wisest decisions you will ever make.
But don’t take our word for it. Read the personal testimonials from prominent Lab owners from around the country. And visit our Puppy Page or call Woody or Judi for up-to-date puppy information at 910.462.3246.
Did you know…
- The first English settlement on the west bank of the mouth of the Pequonnock River was made somewhere between 1639 and 1665 and was called Pequonnock.
- During the American Revolution, Bridgeport was a center of privateering. In 1800, Newfield village was chartered as the borough of Bridgeport, and in 1821 the township of Bridgeport, including more of Stratfield, was incorporated. Bridgeport was chartered as a city in 1836.
- The circus-promoter and former mayor P.T. Barnum, is a famous resident of the city. Barnum built three houses in the city, and housed his circus in town during winters.
- The city is home to the first Subway Restaurant, opened in the North End section of the city in 1965.
- The city was home to the Frisbie Pie Company, and it is claimed that Bridgeport is the birthplace of the frisbee.
- The distance from Bridgeport to Washington DC is 262 miles. The distance to the Connecticut state capital is 50 miles. (as the crow flies).
- Nickname(s): The Park City, The Port, B-Port, BPT