According to registration statistics recently released by the American Kennel Club® (AKC), the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in the Kansas City area.
The Labrador Retriever is also the most popular purebred dog in America for the 21st straight year. More than twice as many Labs were registered than any other breed making it a likely leader for many years to come.
In a recent article, a licensed professional counselor for more than twenty-five years, explained how owning a Lab can help produce healthier, happier, more well adjusted children. Here is an excerpt from her article:
The ten reasons that I am giving for children to have a dog are not listed in order of importance. All of us have different characteristics which we find more important than others. Every reason I list, however, is important to the childhood of your son or daughter.
Dogs boost children’s confidence and self-esteem.
“For many children whose nurturing has been faulty, taking care of an animal can interrupt the cycle of abuse repeating itself over generations,’’ said Dr. Samuel Ross, Executive Director of Green Chimney’s Children’s Services in Brewster, New York, “They can learn to be care-givers, even if they haven’t been well cared for themselves.’’ Children who were regularly given the opportunity to care for a puppy at their preschool, as well as those with dogs at home were found more socially competent. They were more popular, felt better about themselves and were better able to understand other children’s feelings.
Many other life lessons are learned by living around a wonderful dog. Some of them are learning to be gentle, benefits of companionship, importance of faithfulness, the safety and security of home and appreciation of the needs of others. Above all the lessons, dogs are just great fun. They can make us laugh, even after a terrible day. They are always there wanting a reassuring hug. A dog’s primary wish in life is to make you, its owner, happy. How noble—and cool—is that?
Be sure to read the rest of her seven part article, Ten Reasons to Own a Dog.
At Twin Lakes Kennel, we have been breeding and training world class Labrador retrievers for more than thirty-five years. Our Labs can be found across the states from Hawaii to Maine, from Alaska to Florida. Our second-to-none Puppy Guarantee makes buying a pure-bred Labrador retriever one of the wisest decisions you will ever make.
But don’t take our word for it. Read the personal testimonials from prominent Lab owners from around the country. And visit our Puppy Page or call Woody or Judi for up-to-date puppy information at 910.462.3246.
Did you know…
- In the 1840s, wagon trains made their way west from Independence, Missouri, on a journey of 2,000 miles, following what would come to be known as the Oregon Trail. About 60 miles (97 km) west of Kansas City, Missouri, three half Kansas Indian sisters married to the French-Canadian Pappan brothers established a ferry service allowing travelers to cross the Kansas River at what is now Topeka.
- In 1854, after completion of the first cabin, nine men established the Topeka Town Association. Soon, steamboats were regularly docking at the Topeka landing. By the late 1860s, Topeka had become a commercial hub providing many Victorian era comforts.
- The distance from Topeka to Washington DC is 1059 miles. The distance to the Kansas state capital is miles. (as the crow flies).
- Nickname(s): Capitol City, T-Town, Top City.
- Motto: To the Stars Through Difficulty