According to registration statistics recently released by the American Kennel Club® (AKC), the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in the Columbus and Cincinnati areas.
The Labrador Retriever is also the most popular purebred dog in America for the 21st straight year. More than twice as many Labs were registered than any other breed making it a likely leader for many years to come.
In a recent article, a licensed professional counselor for more than twenty-five years, explained how owning a Lab can help produce healthier, happier, more well adjusted children. Here is an excerpt from her article:
The ten reasons that I am giving for children to have a dog are not listed in order of importance. All of us have different characteristics which we find more important than others. Every reason I list, however, is important to the childhood of your son or daughter.
Dogs are great stress relievers for children.
According to a study from SUNY Buffalo (2010), married couples subjected to various types of stressful tasks who were allowed to see their dogs before or after the task, had the lowest responses to stress than those who didn’t. Imagine the effects on family life when the stress levels of parents go down. Children who have a dog feel more secure about home safety and going to sleep in the dark. One of the greatest stresses on children is night fears. To have this overcome, or lessened, is a great benefit to relieving stress. For children who are having any sort of difficulties at school, but especially thoughts and concerns over being liked or accepted, having a dog as a companion that loves you unconditionally is positive and brings with it a good feeling and alleviates symptoms of depression.
Be sure to read the rest of her seven part article, Ten Reasons to Own a Dog.
At Twin Lakes Kennel, we have been breeding and training world class Labrador retrievers for more than thirty-five years. Our Labs can be found across the states from Hawaii to Maine, from Alaska to Florida. Our second-to-none Puppy Guarantee makes buying a pure-bred Labrador retriever one of the wisest decisions you will ever make.
But don’t take our word for it. Read the personal testimonials from prominent Lab owners from around the country. And visit our Puppy Page or call Woody or Judi for up-to-date puppy information at 910.462.3246.
Did you know…
- Cleveland had its beginnings in 1796 when Moses Cleaveland, a surveyor, picked his townsite on the shore of Lake Erie. Only three members of his group agreed to stay since most were ill with Malaria. Growth was slow until the 1820’s when a new canal was built. The Ohio and Erie Canal was completed in 1832.
- The name of Cleaveland was shortened to Cleveland when the local newspaper, The Cleveland Gazette and Commercial Register, had to shorten its masthead by one letter to make it fit. The editor chose to leave out the “a” in Cleaveland.
- During the Civil War times, Cleveland was an important part of the underground railroad. The port on Lake Erie was important for those slaves seeking to go into Canada for freedom.
- Many large industrialists settled into the area, such as: Jephtha Wade with the telegraph company which later became Western Union, John D. Rockefeller, the world’s first billionaire, was a part of Cleveland’s history with his fortune in Standard Oil Co.
- The distance from Cleveland to Washington DC is 311 miles. The distance to the Ohio state capital is 125 miles. (as the crow flies).
- Motto: “The New American City”
Source: USA Cities Online